Dodge_Challenger_Banner
Specification
1970 Brochures
1970 Adverts
Gallery
Home
Dodge_Challenger_1970_A66_340

Dodge_Challenger_1970_Front

Click on all photos to enlarge

Dodge_Challenger_1970_Interior

Interior of the Challenger

Dodge_Challenger_A66

Dodge_Challenger_1970_340

Dodge Challenger 340 4 barrel

Dodge_Challenger_1970_Rear

Rear view of the car

Dodge_Challenger_1970

1970_Dodge_Challenger

Dodge_Challenger_1970_Classic_American_Magazine_June_2019

Classic American mag June 2019

1970_Dodge_Challenger_Sunset

Dodge_Challenger_1970_Classic_American_Magazine_July_2019

Classic American mag July 2019

Dodge_Challenger_1970_Santa_Pod_Mopar_Euro_Nats

Santa Pod Mopar Nats 2019

Dodge_Challenger_1970_Brooklands_Museum

Brooklands American Day

 

 

Hi, my name is Mark and here is a page on my Dodge Challenger 340 4 barrel. It is finished in Hemi Orange paint with black upholstery. The Challenger is a matching numbers car and has the original 340 V8 engine with a Edelbrook Performer carb. The 340 came as standard with the A66 Performance Pack, which included heavy duty suspension, 340 engine (E55), E60x15 inch raised white letter tires (U82), performance hood, heavy duty brakes, heavy duty suspension (S13), Bumble Bee paint stripe (may be deleted), Scat Pack (bee) decal and the wheel lip moulding were deleted.

The A66 was basically an R/T with a small block 340 engine.

This Challenger has spent most of it's life in the USA and was imported to the UK in 2005.

The car was fully restored in the States, including a body off restoration and an engine rebuild. It is in excellent condition.

September 2018

A service was carried out by Tornado Automotive. They also fitted a new steering coupling and 2 new propshaft U/Js.

October 2018

The Challenger was smoking on start up, so it was decided to carry out a top engine rebuild. After taking the heads off, it was clear the valves and guides were all new so the engine had been rebuild recently. And the head didn't need skimming either. However the valve stem seals were missing when the previous rebuild was carried out, so these were reinstated.

A none disignated side stripe was also fitted. I thought long and hard about it as it's none original to teh A66, but I think it improves the looks.

November 2018

I fitted a high quality Sony stereo to the Challenger, with Pioneer parcel shelf speakers. Sounds superb!

December 2018

Christmas arrived and I was given nice new American Racing alloy centre caps. The look much better than the existing plastic metalized ones.

January 2019

I primered and spray painted the front grill and head lamp surrounds satin black, as I didn't think the argent silver grill suited the car. 4 coats of primer and 4 coats of satin black. The head lamp surrounds were finished in satin black Hammerite to protect them from stone chips.

March 2019

The Challenger was taken to Tornado Automotive as there was a fuel leak. This was caused as the grommet from the fuel pipe to the tank had perished. A new grommet and sender were fitted and no more leaks. New front brake lines were also fitted. The drum brakes also had surface corrosion on them so they were shot blasted and resprayed satin black. The engine air cleaner was also restored. It looks much better now!

April 2019

I took the Challenger to a car show in Surrey called Wheels Day. The car gained lots of attention and was photograghed and shown in the June edition of Classic American Magazine.

May 2019

II took the Challenger to Brooklands Mopar day, a great car show and and Classic American magazine again featured the car in it's July edition.

August 2019

The fuel line to the carb was replaced, as it was looking old and perished.

I took the Challenger to Santa Pod for the Mopar Euro Nationals. A great fun day!

September 2019

I restored the radiator, as the black paint was peeling off, exposing the metal beneath. I used wet and dry sand paper to remove the old paint and then a couple of coats of Frosts radiator paint. It's come up a treat and makes the engine bay look much better.

January 2020

I bought some bigger tyres for the rear of the car, to give the Challenger that 1970s stance. The tyres were 255/60/15s and they just about fitted on the 15x7 Torq Thrust wheels.


However the car has had new rear quarters fitted during it's restoration and the inner wheel arch lips were 40mm deep and hadn't been cut back. So I decided to get this done. The lips were gut back with a grinder very carefully. Then the old inner wheel arch was spot weld to the new arch and then sealed with an epoxy resin. Then the arch was sprayed with a couple a layers of Hemi Orange lacquer and then clear coat to finish. The car is now done and looks much better to my eyes!